In the Community
This section provides information for Peace Region residents, Indigenous Nations, communities and property owners.
In the Community nav
Visit the Site C viewpoint
The Site C viewpoint is now open on the north bank of the Peace River above the dam site. This viewpoint gives visitors an opportunity to watch Site C construction activities from a safe distance. It includes the following features:
- A project viewing area
- Sign shelters with interpretative content
- Picnic tables
- Paved parking for vehicles and up to two buses
- Two telescopes that can be used to view work on site
Location and driving directions
The viewpoint is located immediately west of the City of Fort St. John, on the south side of Highway 97.
Visitors can access the viewpoint by driving south on 269 Road, past the Peace River Regional District landfill. Approximately 500 metres south of the landfill, turn right to access the viewpoint. The turnoff will be marked with a large sign.
Hours of operation and access
The Site C viewpoint is open year-round, weather-dependent, generally from dawn to dusk. Please see hours of operation below, which are subject to change. It is for day-use only and parking or camping overnight is prohibited.
Access to the viewpoint is controlled by a gate that will be locked overnight.
- Summer hours (May 1 to September 7): daily from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Winter hours (September 8 to April 30): daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.*
*Please note that the viewpoint may close temporarily when there is a significant snowfall.
BC Hydro reminds visitors to follow these general tips for keeping safe at our recreation sites:
- Obey all warning signs and keep out of restricted areas.
- No fires are allowed at the viewpoint.
- Stay on designated trails and within observation areas.
- Always supervise children and teach them how to keep safe.
- Never feed wildlife.
- Please respect the hours of operation of our recreation areas.
- Obey the safety directions of all on-site BC Hydro representatives, including security personnel and other recreation-area staff.
- Firearms are never allowed.
If you have questions or concerns about the Site C viewpoint, please contact the project using the information below. Please dial 911 in case of emergency.
- Toll-free: 1 877 217 0777
- Email: [email protected]