Filling the reservoir
One of the last steps in building the Site C dam is to fill the reservoir. Reservoir filling will take about four months, widening the Peace River by an average of two to three times.
The portage program is suspended in preparation for filling the Site C reservoir.
It will not re-open for at least one year after filling, while BC Hydro monitors for safety and shoreline stability.
During Site C construction, a portage program was set up to move boaters around the construction area. The program ran from May to September each year, between the Halfway River boat launch and the Peace Island Park boat launch.
Making a reservation
Please contact us at least seven days in advance of the day you require a portage. You will need to read and fill out the forms below.
- 1 877 217 0777 (ext. 1)
- [email protected]
Portage program forms
- Portage program application form PDF • 126 KB
- Portage program terms and conditions PDF • 319 KB
- Vessel owner waiver PDF • 115 KB
- Vessel owner consent PDF • 294 KB
- Operator and passenger waiver PDF • 115 KB
- Portage program checklist PDF • 99 KB
To receive up-to-date information, please subscribe to our notifications through the form below.
- Filling the reservoir
- Factsheet: Filling the reservoir PDF • 1.5 MB
- Spring 2020: Permanent changes to the Peace River PDF • 585 KB
- Clearing and debris management PDF • 253 KB