There will be several short closures of Highway 29 between Hudson’s Hope and Chetwynd over the coming week, due to helicopter work related to the stringing of BC Hydro transmission lines across the highway.
This work is part of the Site C project, which is building two new 75-kilometre-long transmission lines from the Site C dam site to the Peace Canyon Generating Station. The first of these two transmission lines is now nearing completion.
What to expect:
- There will be three highway closures, lasting about 20 minutes each time.
- The closures will be located on Highway 29, between Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope, approximately 10 kilometres south of Hudson’s Hope.
- The helicopter will be flying a “sock line” (shown in photo) that will pull the wires across the highway.
- Wooden “rider poles” are installed on each side of the highway to prevent the sock line and wires from falling on to the highway during the stringing operations.
- Traffic flaggers and signage will be in place to direct traffic.
- Drivers are urged to use caution and reduce their speed in work zones.