This week, BC Hydro will begin work on the Highway 29 realignment east of Cache Creek.
We will be preparing the site for the construction of a large embankment at the eastern end of the segment. To begin with, we will remove vegetation and soil to prepare the subgrade for the highway’s embankment. Then, we will build the embankment using gravel from the Peaceview borrow area, located four kilometres west.
BC Hydro is working with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure on Highway 29 construction. This work is being done to prepare for filling the Site C reservoir, which will widen the Peace River and cover parts of the existing highway. In total, we are building more than 30 kilometres of highway in six different segments on Highway 29.
What to expect
- Increased construction-related traffic in the area
- Traffic control personnel and signage
- Occasional minor delays to traffic
- Increased noise, dust and vibration
- Work will take place for 12 hours per day, 7 days per week
We ask drivers to allow more time for their travel, and use caution near work areas.