VANCOUVER: BC Hydro today announced it has awarded the Site C generating station and spillways civil works contract, along with two other contracts for the Site C project.
BC Hydro has signed a contract with the Aecon-Flatiron-Dragados-EBC Partnership (AFDE Partnership) for the generating station and spillways civil works component of the Site C project. The contract is valued at $1.6 billion and falls within the project’s revised budget of $10.7 billion.
The generating station and spillways civil works contract is the second largest to be awarded on the project and includes the delivery of civil works associated with the powerhouse, penstocks, spillways and power intakes.
Construction highlights of the generating station and spillways civil works include:
- Placement of approximately 700,000 cubic metres of mass and reinforced concrete – the equivalent of 280 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Installation of 34,000 tonnes of rebar – the equivalent of 4.5 Eiffel Towers.
- Construction of two spillways that are 17-storeys high and five highway-lanes wide.
The AFDE Partnership has signed a labour agreement that includes unions from the BC Building Trades and will prioritize hiring local and Indigenous workers, including a goal of up to 25 per cent apprenticeships on the project.
The contractor will mobilize on site in spring 2018 and work will be completed over a five-year period. BC Hydro estimates there will be approximately 1,600 people working on the generating station and spillways civil works at the peak of construction in 2021.
In addition to the generating station and spillways civil works contract, BC Hydro has awarded two other contracts:
- The $33-million contract to build the Site C substation has been awarded to Nanaimo-based F&M Installations Ltd.
- The $23-million contract to design, supply and commission the generating station and spillways powerhouse bridge and gantry cranes has been awarded REEL COH Inc.
BC Hydro is committed to following rigorous standards for all of its procurement activities. Each contract has been awarded following a comprehensive evaluation and due diligence process.
BC Hydro Media Relations