VANCOUVER – BC Hydro announced today that it has awarded a contract to Morgan Construction and Environmental Ltd. for preparation activities on the north bank of the Site C dam site. The scope of work includes:
- constructing approximately seven kilometres of access roads on the north bank of the Site C dam site,
- excavating about two million cubic metres of material,
- producing and stockpiling approximately 100,000 cubic metres of aggregate material for use by other contractors at the dam site, and
- clearing and grubbing of approximately 55 hectares.
Work under this contract is expected to start in early August and be complete by the end of June 2016. This work is required to prepare the site for the start of main civil works in early 2016. The contract with Morgan Construction meets key procurement objectives for the project – including being within budget – as well as requirements related to safety, quality and production.
BC Hydro will retain an independent environmental monitor who will audit and review compliance of the contractor's work with the conditions of environmental approval, and report directly to the federal and provincial regulatory agencies.
BC Hydro is building Site C to meet the long-term electricity needs of its customers. Once built, Site C will provide clean, reliable and affordable electricity in B.C. for more than 100 years.
- The contract for site preparation activities on the north bank of the dam site is one of several BC Hydro procurements for the Site C project.
- On July 23, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure announced that A.L. Sims and Sons Ltd. was awarded the contract to improve public roads accessing the dam site.
- On May 11, BC Hydro announced that Paul Paquette and Son's Contracting was awarded the contract to clear the south bank of the Site C dam site.
- On April 30, BC Hydro announced that ATCO Two Rivers Lodging Group GP Ltd., a subsidiary of ATCO Structures & Logistics Ltd., was selected as the preferred proponent for the Site C Worker Accommodation contract.
- Other procurements underway include Main Civil Works and Turbines and Generators.
- Site C construction will provide employment, contracting and sub-contracting opportunities for local, regional and Aboriginal workers and businesses.
- The construction of Site C will create 10,000 person-years of direct employment during the construction period and 33,000 person-years of employment in total. It will contribute $3.2 billion to the B.C. economy, including $130 million to the regional economy.
Hon. Bill Bennett, Minister of Energy and Mines and Minister Responsible for Core Review
"Site C is an important project for our province and I'm pleased to see contracts being awarded for project construction. Building Site C will create thousands of jobs and inject billions of dollars into our economy. And when it's all done, it will deliver clean, affordable and reliable electricity for more than a century."
Pat Pimm, MLA, Peace River North
"The construction of Site C will provide the Peace region with significant opportunities for local businesses and workers to help build a legacy project for the province. With the awarding of the contract for site preparation activities on the north bank of the dam site, we are moving forward with a project that will grow the regional economy and benefit generations of British Columbians."
Jessica McDonald, President and Chief Executive Officer, BC Hydro
"The awarding of this contract is a significant milestone for the Site C project and we are pleased that our competitive procurement process is resulting in contracts that achieve the best value for our customers while also creating jobs and business opportunities for the Peace region."
Peter Kiss, President, Morgan Construction
"We are very pleased to have been awarded this contract. I spent my summers on my grandparents' farm on the banks of the Peace River near Hudson's Hope, and I appreciate that Site C is a legacy project for B.C. and we are very excited to be a part of it."
Tel: 604 786 5711