Site C Project Components
The project design for the Site C Clean Energy Project includes the following key components:
- Access roads in the vicinity of the site and a temporary construction access bridge across the Peace River at the dam site.
- Construction of two temporary cofferdams across the main river channel to allow for construction of the earthfill dam.
- Worker accommodation at the dam site, with other workers being housed off site and in the region.
- The realignment of six segments of Highway 29 over a total distance of 30 kilometres.
- Shoreline protection at Hudson’s Hope.
- Two new 500 kilovolt AC transmission lines that will connect the Site C facilities to the existing Peace Canyon Substation, along an existing right-of-way.
- An 800-metre roller-compacted-concrete buttress to enhance seismic protection.
- An earthfill dam, approximately 1,050 metres long and 60 metres high above the riverbed.
- A generating station with six 183 MW generating units.
- An 83-kilometre-long reservoir that will be, on average, two to three times the width of the current river.